Hi friends! Happy Tuesday.
It is FINALLY here and I can hardly believe I’m typing this! Expecting and Empowered has LAUNCHED!
Thank you SO much for your support along the way! It has been quite the journey to this point. Chalk full of bumps in the road and growing bumps in our bellies. Our passion and grit helped us finish E and E and now it is ready for the world!
This blog post is going to be focused on what you need to have a fit and active pregnancy.
Why is exercise during pregnancy important?
One of the reasons Krystle and I were SO passionate about this project is because we wanted to change the conversation. SO much of the information about working out during pregnancy is outdated and women are still believing the lies that they are putting their baby at risk. It IS important to workout safely and that is why we decided to make a comprehensive pregnancy guide that has ALL the necessary pregnancy modifications in it. It is composed of pelvic floor, flexibility, strength, and cardiovascular exercises which are 4 PILLARS of pregnancy fitness that every mama-to-be should include in her routine.
The benefits of material exercise are SO numerous for both the mama-to-be and the baby. I’m going to share my FAVORITES/the ones that motivate me!
Bottom line: Pregnancy is a PHYSICAL EVENT!
- Pregnancy and delivery can be thought of as a marathon, and cardiovascular training should be performed to build stamina. E and E comes with safe cardio recommendations for each trimester!
- Our flexibility and strength training exercises are specifically designed to reduce, and even eliminate, the common aches and pains that mamas often experience during pregnancy. Headaches, neck soreness, pain between your shoulder blades, carpal tunnel, lower back pain, pelvic pain, pubic bone pain, pelvic floor issues, diastasis rectus, hip pain, sciatica, and calf cramps are all issues that pregnant women might experience. The guide is made to STRENGTHEN you where you don’t even know you are weak to help you avoid these problems. This is where Krystle’s physical therapy knowledge is HUGE to make our product unique and I’m POSITIVE it will help SO many women!
- Increase boost in confidence, mood, and energy during pregnancy! I don’t think women should UNDERESTIMATE this benefit. Gaining weight and watching our bodies change CAN be really challenging. Working out certainly helps keep my pregnancy confidence high. 😉
- Research has proven that mamas that exercise will gain less weight during pregnancy and lose their pregnancy weight faster postpartum! You’re conditioning your body for the task of carrying, delivering, and recovering from having a baby, and it rewards you!
- Delivery has found to be shorter in mamas that exercises (33% less time in labor) with less need for intervention. Heck YES!
- For the baby: decreased risk of preterm labor, decrease risk of going past term, decreased incidence of cord entanglement, higher agra scores, sleep through the night earlier, tend to self quiet better if disturbed, and higher scores on general intelligence test and oral language skills. WHAT?! These are AMAZING benefits!
Okay, okay, so now you understand why it is important.
What you need for a FIT Pregnancy:
This pregnancy I’ve been able to stick to Expecting and Empowered the whole time! I can tell you this: I’ve felt SO much fitter than my first pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Maxwell I DID exercise very regularly. I did much more cardiovascular training than strength training and especially at the end I would just plop down on a stationary bike for a half hour and call it a day. With baby #2, I’ve done the three days of Expecting and Empowered. I compliment that with the two days of suggested cardiovascular training. One of the reasons we are SO excited about our product is because it gives mamas-to-be an easy to follow workouts that can be done at home or in the gym. I have stuck to each week and really look forward to the workouts. The workouts are all pregnancy safe and they change as you and your baby grow! E and E can take you from the moment you find out you’ve conceived until your 40th week of pregnancy. Taking the guess work and thinking out of your workout routine for your ENTIRE pregnancy. You’ll have a READY to be tackled workout that take around 30-45 minutes. If you’ve been waiting for this or are EXCITED to jump on board: it is NOW available.
Having a toddler this pregnancy has made getting workouts in a bit trickier. Drew and I have had to ADJUST a few times along the way in order to make sure both of us could continue to regularly exercise 4-5x a week. This is what works for me:
- Nap time workouts. Two days a week I workout during Max’s naptime. KEY to making this work: I start as soon as Max goes down in case it is a shorter than normal nap. Just START even if you don’t feel like it and it is over before you even know it. 😉
- Utilize both days of the weekend. I workout on Saturday and Sunday. Drew is home to watch Max, so I fit it in at whatever time works best for our family. We sometimes turn it into a family event and go for a run or walk together.
- Workday workout. This means I only have to fit in one other day, which falls on a workday. This day is extra full, but since I know it is only one it is completely manageable. Now, maybe you work more than three days a week and you’re thinking “must be nice!” Also keep in mind that I run this blog and launched a business. 😉 So I definitely work a lot more than my 24 nursing job hours.
Equipment or Gym Membership
Figure out what works best for you! If you are going to do Expecting and Empowered you can do it AT HOME with minimal equipment (see what you need/our recommendations here). Maybe you are the type that needs to get to the gym to be motivated and nail your workout. It’s okay if this changes too! I was a complete gym gal until after Max. Now, I have to do what fits my family’s schedule!
Pregnancy Friendly Workout Gear
I mix in my regular workout gear and a few select pregnancy pieces.
- Here is what S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-S throughout: my Athleta chi tanks, my Lululemon capris.
- Bao Bei Maternity Bands: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these as you can tell if you follow me on Instagram. For a few reasons. They were developed by an insanely talented physical therapist and woman entrepreneur: Suzanne. Her and I have been collaborating and supporting each other since Maxwell was born. This pregnancy she sent me SO many pieces and I even just received a few for postpartum. Why I love the bands from her line: as she says, “it is a sports bra for your belly.” I find that the band and sports bra combination is the most comfortable thing. For some reason, I’m just not the pregnant gal that loves high waisted leggings. I do LOVE them in postpartum, but think they are uncomfortable during pregnancy. I love that the band is just around my belly and then I have a sports bra, and low rise capris.
Okay MAMA, you are ALL SET! Tackle that pregnancy!
Lastly, if you are a regular around here I have an ask for you! I hardly ever do this, but it is a BIG day over here.
If you would SHARE Expecting and Empowered’s website or this blog post on your social media today…it would mean EVERYTHING to us! Word of mouth from our friends, family, readers, clients, etc…is going to be the BEST way for people to hear about us!