Hi friends! Happy Tuesday.
Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend and start to your week. Over here March means endless basketball viewing. One of the reasons Drew and I fell in love so fast is because we have a lot of the same interests, including sports. Have I told you guys that my very first love was basketball? I just couldn’t get enough. Anyway the amount my husband watches during March is even too much for me, tell me someone can relate?!
To be joyful and happy, sometimes you have to take pause and think of things that you are thankful for or happy about. “In positive psychology research, gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.” From this Harvard Medical article.
Pause and take 3 minutes right now to write your list of 5 things that make you happy! Share it with me or someone that helps you to feel that joy. In fact, research proves that a simple exercise such as this can make YOU happier and more optimistic.
- Drew’s joy for March Madness. It’s kind of funny to start my list with someone else’s joy, but it does make me so happy to see my husband happy. March Madness and High School playoffs are serious holidays for him. He loves it, he takes off of work for it. At the Waunakee game above, he said, “Amy, can you take a picture of me and Max?” That’s not a very common request for Drew, so I could just tell how happy he was to be experiencing this game with his little man. So cheers to you babe, I’ll try my best to be a team player about your March Madness Madness 😉
- Maxwell during bath time. This is JOY and I’m so thankful to be able to watch it. He is the happiest person in the world during bath time. If he is crabby post daycare, we put him in the tub to make him happy.
- Tacos with myself. Last night, Drew was drafting basketball players because apparently just normal brackets are not quite enough (haha) and it was just Max, me, and The Bachelor. Since Max goes to bed at 7, I decided to make tacos and write this blog post. Rather than just eating something easy because Drew was gone, I made myself a taco bowl (meat, black beans, salsa, brown rice, and cheese) and had a nice little date by myself. Tacos and some time to myself? That sure makes a girl happy.
- Maxwell’s bedtime routine. The joy of having a snuggly little baby is too good. He knows when it is time for bed now, because of his routine. For the past couple weeks, instead of going to bed crying…he’ll snuggle with me and when I put him down he just flips over onto his belly, puts his butt up in the air, and goes to bed. It is just the sweetest time and I’m going to cherish it before it changes.
- Weekends that actually mean no work. I have been a nurse for a little over 3 years. Before that I was a nursing assistant. Before that a personal trainer. Before that a bartender. To finally have weekends FREE, FREE, FREE is amazing. Even if it is just a slow weekend with my two guys, it’s special to me because it has been so long since I haven’t had to plan around work.
It would be easy for me to keep going, but I wrote the blog title of 5 Happy things. We can be happy for big things, but you can also just find the joy in eating tacos and spending time by yourself 🙂