‘Tis the season! Drew and I attended our first holiday party of the season this past weekend.
Most of these parties are filled with booze, yummy food, and sweets galore…so, how do you keep from growing your waist line?! Here are a few tips that I’ve gathered and put into practice.
- Don’t show up hungry. Whether it’s your friend’s gathering, the family Christmas dinner, or your work party…going hungry is always a bad idea because it makes you more irrational in your choices and you feel like you deserve to eat more. A well timed and nutritious snack beforehand will help you maintain your discipline.
- Be choosy when it comes to your sweets. This is the time of year when there is a treat everywhere you turn. If you indulge each and every time they will most likely show up on the scale by the end of the season. Instead of trying one of everything, pick the sweet that looks the best or the one you know you’ll love. Maybe you are able to skip the ones in the work break room because you know you’d rather have your grandmother’s famous cookies.
- Set limits. My mother-in-law’s sugar cookies are my holiday kryptonite, so I limit myself to 1/day. I do usually take the biggest one with the most sprinkles, but that’s a sidenote 😉 Another example would be limiting yourself to one plate at dinner (no stacking food)! Setting limits for yourself will aid your discipline and when you’ve hit your limit make sure to stick to it!
- Go easy on the”tasting” while baking or cooking. Drew and I baked holiday cookies last night for our church group and the patients on my unit. He “sampled” so much cookie dough he ended up with a stomach ache. Of course you want your contribution to be perfect, but be honest with yourself about how much you need to taste test.
- Do you really need another glass of wine? We’re talking calories and your control here. If you drink more, you’re more likely to eat more and possibly saying something to your boss you’ll regret the next day 😉 If you feel out of place when not having a drink in your hand, get yourself a water with a lemon or a club soda. Take it from the pregnant lady, you can still have plenty of fun without the booze.
- Move! During the holidays, you are probably around good food most of the day and spending time sitting around with your family. This can start to make you feel pretty puffy. Drew + I always make sure to go for a run right away in the morning (or if the weather really isn’t cooperating heading to the basement for a circuit). This way we get it done and don’t interrupt any of the plans for the day. It is also really nice to get some time just the two of us in 🙂
- Brush your teeth early. This one is from my husband Drew. He says if he brushes his teeth after dinner it helps him to not have anything else for the rest of the night.
I hope these tips help! Comment if I missed one you swear by, we’re all in this together. Have a great week everyone! -Ames