We’ve officially hit the time of year when people all over are echoing, why does it get dark soo early?! Although the weather in Wisconsin has been unseasonably warm, we’re also about to head into more fall like temperatures.
The darkness and the weather can undoubtedly affect our mood.
Here are some quick tips to beat the seasonal blues:
- Workout! I know it is hard to get to the gym, but workouts are scientifically proven to boost your mood. The hardest part it typically leaving your house, but I promise you won’t regret going! For me, we’re getting close to the time of the year that I even head inside for my cardio workouts. One tip that helps me is going when there is something on TV that will make the time go fast (my favorites: Kelly and Michael or Ellen DeGeneres).
- Eat well. You are on a health and wellness blog, so you knew I was going to make these first two suggestions 😉 If your mood is crappy and you eat crappy…chances are you will just feel even more crappy. Continue to eat well during this season will help to keep your mood in check.
- Challenge yourself. There is no time like the present to set a personal challenge. Example: I’m going to go to the gym 4x/week this month. If you stick to your goal come up with a reward for yourself. OR maybe it is time for you to take the plunge and try an AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge. Whatever you decide, it’s a great time of year to challenge yourself for that extra boost of motivation.
- Get enough sleep. This is always vitally important, and I’ve written blogs on it before that you can read here. Getting enough sleep helps keep your mood steady and your productivity up. I’ve always been a fan of short naps if you can fit one into your schedule 🙂
- Soak in the weather/sunshine. As I mentioned this week was beautiful here in Madison. I took full advantage with a couple of fall runs, even heading to my favorite trails. If you work during all the sunlight, consider going for a walk over your lunch hour or during a break.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend/end of the week! -Ames