I was running with my friend Carrie yesterday and we were talking about our weekends. I had my sister’s baby shower and family time, she had a concert and a Badger game with her family. We both agreed that we had overindulged and wanted to get back to healthy eating.
Here are my best tips for getting back on track after an overindulgent weekend:
- Drink water. Lots and lots of water. It will help hydrate you and start to flush your system.
- Head to the grocery store. There is no better time to stock up on fresh fruit, vegetables, and lean meat. Both of us went to the grocery store on the way home for our run together to grab fresh food for our impending work stretches. I always feel excited to eat healthy when I’m prepared and have food I’m excited about (ex. fresh raspberries).
- Skip meals out and eat those fresh groceries you just bought. This one is pretty simple, meals out are typically high in calories from the preparation.
- Don’t keep indulging. Sometimes when people start to slide into unhealthy eating, instead of stopping after a day or a weekend they let it continue into the week. Say no to those work donuts or cupcakes, and stick to your healthy plan.
- Set a goal. Carrie + I agreed that we wanted to get back to our baseline and keep each other accountable for a two week stretch of healthy eating 🙂 Grab a partner, set a timeline, establish the rules (no fried food, no sweets, consistently workout 5x a week, no alcohol) and GOOO! Of course the healthy eating continues after this time period 🙂
I hope your fall days are healthy and full of happiness 🙂 -Ames