Hi friends! As promised, I’m sharing simple + healthy meals that I chowed on this week!
Let me first tell you about my personal eating evolution. I grew up in a house where canned vegetables, canned fruit, Hamburger Helper, McDonald’s + macaroni and cheese with hot dogs were the norm. As I started to learn (mostly from being involved in athletics) how to better fuel my body better, I would sometimes take hold of my nutrition. I’ll be honest through high school and college (even though I had the information) I wasn’t eating the best. I definitely consumed more pizza, Taco Bell (loved the Crunch Wrap Supreme…what the heck Amyyyyyy?! This is full transparency!!!), + drinks in college than I care to admit. Now, I try to avoid fast-food at all costs. Drew (my husband) actually got mad at me the other week because he thinks I’m too stubborn about this. I had him believing that I didn’t like Culver’s for years of our relationship, because I didn’t want to eat there + it was just easier if he thought I didn’t like it. Love you babe 😉
A few years ago things really started clicking for me. I wanted to take care of my body the best I could and that goes hand-in-hand with good nutrition. I did not have that many skills in the kitchen, but I’ve continued to learn along the way. During my first AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge I also had my eyes opened to foods that I had never tried before (hello sweet potatoes + brussel sprouts). I’m still learning and growing in my cooking skills, but I find it exciting + I love trying new things! I love asking friends for tips (one of my go-to gals it Kelly). Plus, it’s easy to youtube anything these days (that’s how I learned the fastest way to de-seed a pomegranate).
I was reading a foodie’s blog how she takes a 1,000 pictures of the food for each post and then edits in photoshop…I took 2 pictures of each meal on my iPhone 6 and edited (literally after consuming, a girl cannot wait that long to eat) with VSCO cam.
A couple easy tips from preparation:
- Preparation: I typically use 1 tablespoon of olive oil (example: with the chicken, asparagus).
- Grilling: my husband does it all! Lucky me! I told him that I would learn soon 🙂 I prepare a lot of our other meals + he enjoys grilling, so it works for us.
- Brown rice: I just make an entire box at a time and then I have it for the whole week! It’s super easy.
- Asparagus: Easy peezy to saute with olive oil + I put a couple sprinkles of cumin on top.
- Fajita night: Drew was out of town. I still made this because it’s so easy to take to work as leftovers. Slice the chicken breast into strips and then brown it. Add fajita flavoring, peppers, + onions. I had brown rice prepared and just put the combo over rice.
- Avocados: I add 1/2 an avocado to A LOT of things. I average 1/day, my friends at work know this 🙂 I’m obsessed. I get them from Costco in a bag of 6 (Drew doesn’t eat them). I refrigerate half + keep 1/2 in the fruit bowl so they can ripen. CAUTION: overripe avocados are my worst nightmare. You’ll have to get the hang of these babies. I use the squeeze test. If they are super easy to squeeze/mushy…that’s no good, do not buy or eat.
- Ordering at Chipotle: Of course I would love to slather that baby with cheese + sour cream. But, they put an alarming amount on…so, I’ve started to skip it. I’d also love to have their chips, but I try to find balance and the bowl is already so good. I don’t really need those extras.
- Drinks: I try my best to drink mostly water!!!!! I also drink sparkling water, Spark, + Almond or Soy milk (chocolate soy milk as a dessert/treat for myself). If I’m short on time, or just feel in the mood I have an AdvoCare Meal Replacement Shake, I blogged about them here and you can order them here. They are so, so yummy and great for on-the-go people. Please do not tell me your are still skipping breakfasts?!! 🙂
Okay friends! I hope that you picked up a meal or preparation idea from this post. I’ll do another one with more easy ideas soon. I also hope by being honest about my eating evolution, you can see that it is possible to change and adopt really healthy habits into your life. The time is now!
I have to work all weekend, so it isn’t really feeling like a Friday…but, I’m happy for you that have the weekend off 🙂 I have exciting things planned for next week, so stop back! Also, follow me @ameskiefer on Instagram where I post more often.
Yours in balance, Ames